Legacy has been tested and will run on Windows 8 PCs and laptops. Legacy won't run on Windows 8 RT tablets, smartphones and some cheaper netbooks. A few users reported problems installing Legacy on Windows 8. The problems were solved when they upgraded to Windows 8.1.
When installing on Windows 8:
• Install Legacy Family Tree from our website. This version is fully compatible with Windows 8 and has the latest enhancements and patches for that version.
• When installing Legacy, don't make any changes to the setup. Just keep clicking Next.
• By default, Legacy 8.0 installs to C:\Program Files\Legacy. Legacy 8.0 will not overwrite Legacy 7.5.
• Make sure that Legacy 7.5or earlier is installed only to the default C:\Legacy folder on your hard drive; if you don't some features might not run correctly or give errors.
• If you have installed Legacy 7.5 or earlier on Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you should set the system's User Account Control to "Never Notify” if you have trouble unlocking the Deluxe features or experience other problems in the program, such as Legacy not retaining new information or settings. (Adjusting the User Account Control is not necessary for Legacy Family Tree 8.0.)
(1) Please open the Control Panel, and click on the User Accounts icon.
(2) Next click on Change User Account Control settings.
(3) Move the slider bar to the bottom, Never Notify; then click OK to reboot your computer.
You can download the most recent version, Legacy Family Tree 8.0, from the following link: http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadLegacy.asp
If prompted, the installation password is all one word (no space) with only lower case letters: legacy8
Use your version 8 customer number to unlock the deluxe features.