1. Close Legacy Family Search. You may have
to use the Task Manager. Right-click on the Task Bar at the bottom of
your monitor and select Start Task Manager (alternately you can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete on your keyboard). The Windows Task Manager will open. Select the Processes tab, then highlight Legacy FamilySearch and click the End Task button.
2. Make sure that your computer's firewall and antivirus programs have LegacyFS.exe added to the list of trusted/allowed programs. Check the Help system for your Internet security software for the steps to do this.
LegacyFS.exe is located at:
For 32-bit Windows OS C:\Program Files\Legacy8\FamilySearch\LegacyFS.exe
For 64-bit Windows OS C:\Program Files (x86)\Legacy8\FamilySearch\LegacyFS.exe
3. Make sure that you have the latest update for your Legacy program. Legacy's most recent FamilySearch tools available in Legacy 8, will continue to be enhanced and made available through Legacy 8's free updates. These tools are available in both the free, standard edition of Legacy 8 and in the deluxe edition of Legacy 8. Legacy's FamilySearch tools in older versions of Legacy will not be updated. Please visit http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadUpdate.asp or visit http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadLegacy.asp to buy Legacy 8.
4. In Legacy Family Tree, try starting with a person in a different generation. If Legacy FamilySearch initializes and opens, delete the problem person in Legacy Family Tree and then re-enter their information and re-link them. Try Legacy FamilySearch again.
If the initialization problem is still an issue:
1. Close Legacy Family Search again.
2. In Legacy Family Tree, do a Check/Repair of the family file. Click Here for the steps.
3. Click on File > File Maintenace > List Cleanup to open the Master Lists Cleanup screen. Make sure all boxes are check marked and then click on Proceed. Follow the screen prompts to complete the process.
4. Export all the records into a new family file. Click on File > Export > Export to a new Legacy family File.
1) Give your new family file a name and click Save and the Legacy Export screen will open.
2) Click the Privacy Options button to open the Privacy Options screen.
3) In the lower half of the screen, under Override Private Settings, click the Check All button and then click Save.
4) In the Legacy Export screen check mark Include general To-Do items and then click Start the Export.
5) If the AutoSource Reminder screen opens, click the Don't Assign a Source button.
6) The export will begin. When it's complete click OK.
7) When asked "Would you like to open the file you just export to?" click the Yes button.
5 Try Legacy FamilySearch again with this new file. Initialization should finish this time and complete the connection to the FamilyTree at FamilySearch.org. If it works, this new family file will be the one that you use from now on.
If it still does not work:
1. With Legacy and Legacy FamilySearch closed, browse into C:\Program
Files\Legacy8\ directory on your hard drive (depending on your edition
of Windows browse into C:\Program Files (x86)\Legacy8\) and delete the
2. Replace the deleted FamilySearch folder by visiting http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadUpdate.asp to update your program.
3. Try FamilySearch again.